During times of inclement weather or environmental concerns, the Department of Homelessness and Supportive Housing (HSH) may bring on additional shelter capacity and/or provide different services to unsheltered people experiencing homelessness. HSH will update this page during times of inclement weather, please check back during events to get the latest information, as it may change. You can also check with 311 regarding such situations and the City’s overall response. If you are concerned about a specific individual due to immediate and emergency health or safety concerns, please contact 911.
UPDATE: Current Response to Winter Weather Extended
The Department of Homelessness and Supportive Housing (HSH) has a cold/wet weather response protocol which allows our system to expand and contract to address the needs of unsheltered persons experiencing homelessness. Due to the reoccurring days of rain and low temperatures, HSH decided to expand the existing shelter system with 25 mats starting on January 15, 2019.
Due to continuing rainy weather, HSH has decided to continue this expansion of the adult emergency shelter system beyond the original end date of 2/28/2019. The 25 expansion mats will be available on a nightly basis through Sunday evening, March 31st/ Monday morning April 1st.
ADULT EMERGENCY SHELTER:
Adult individuals seeking shelter should go to
* MSC-South Drop-In Center, 525 5th St. at any time, seven days a week,
Or visit one of the other shelter reservation sites at the following locations and times:
* Glide Walk-In Center, 330 Ellis Street, Monday – Friday, 8:30AM – 9PM
* Mission Neighborhood Resource Center, 165 Capp Street
Monday – Friday, 7AM – Noon & 2 – 7PM; Saturday 7AM – Noon
* United Council, 2111 Jennings Street Daily, 7PM – 9AM
These sites can make one-night reservations when those become available starting at 4:30PM daily. For the information about these locations or to get on the waitlist for an on-going shelter reservation, call 3-1-1 at anytime.
FAMILY EMERGENCY SHELTER:
* Unsheltered families (one or more adults with one or more minors, children 17 and under) can go to the emergency Family Shelter at First Friendship, 501 Steiner) between 3:00 – 8:00 PM any day for an overnight stay.
If there is a concern about an individual, family or group at a specific location, please notify and provide descriptive location and details to:
* 311 regarding a general outreach need, or
* 911 if an emergency/critical response is indicated.