The San Francisco Landlord Incentive Program (SFLIP) provides financial assistance to incentivize landlords to lease housing to households exiting homelessness though City supported subsidized housing programs. Participating tenants will have a rental voucher to help pay their rent and the program includes incentives and bonus for landlords participating in the program.
It’s often presumed that tenants with histories of homelessness are more likely to cause damage or not fulfill lease obligations (i.e., be evicted, abandon units). To address these concerns and incentivize landlords to lease to tenants exiting homelessness, and SFLIP provides financial bonuses as well as support to participating landlords.
Landlord Rental Bonus:
Landlords may receive both cash bonuses listed below:
- New Landlord Bonus: $1,000 for a property owner’s first housing unit rented to a tenant under this program.
- New Unit Bonus: $500 for each new unit rented to a tenant under SFLIP. A new unit is a unit that has not been occupied by a Qualified Tenant under the SFLIP in the previous 24 months.
- Property Management/ Real Estate Agent Referral Bonus: $200 for each new unit rented to a tenant under SFLIP.
Benefits to Landlords Participating in Subsidy Programs:
- Guaranteed Payments: the full rent amount is guaranteed by federal, state, and/ or local sources
- Rent is paid on-time: landlords don’t have to worry about late or missed rental payments
- Eliminate advertising costs: renting to a local subsidy program gives you access to a pool of ready-to-rent tenants
- Reduce vacancies: partnering with our programs means a pool of tenants ready to move-in quickly
- Supporting services: our community-based partners maintain frequent contact with tenants and conduct in-home visits to ensure successful integration into their new home
- Landlord Liaison services: housing specialists answer Landlord questions & mitigate risk if it arises
- Gratification: you can be part of the solution to end homelessness by doing what you already do —providing a safe unit for people seeking a stable home!
The Landlord Rental Bonus program is a pilot program from June 1st, 2022, to November 30th, 2022. To qualify for the Landlord Rental Bonus payments, the lease must be signed between June 1st, 2022, to November 30th, 2022.
Join us in ending homelessness in our community! To learn more email HSHLandlords@sfgov.org