Become a Landlord
To help make homelessness in San Francisco rare, brief, and one time, the San Francisco Department of Homelessness and Supportive Housing is partnering with community-based organizations seeking partnerships with landlords and property managers with available units. Help your community and house families and individuals looking for a stable home in the private rental market. We are interested in units of all sizes immediately available across the Bay Area.
Why should property owners get involved?
- Guaranteed Payments: the full rent amount is guaranteed by federal, state, and/ or local sources
- Rent is paid on-time: landlords don’t have to worry about late or missed rental payments
- Eliminate advertising costs: renting to a local subsidy program gives you access to a pool of ready-to-rent tenants
- Reduce vacancies: partnering with our programs means a pool of tenants ready to move-in quickly
- Supporting services: our community-based partners maintain frequent contact with tenants and conduct in-home visits to ensure successful integration into their new home
- Landlord Liaison services: housing specialists answer Landlord questions & mitigate risk if it arises
- Gratification: you can be part of the solution to end homelessness by doing what you already do — providing a safe unit for people seeking a stable home!
How it Works
Ready to join the community?
Once your apartment(s) are made available within our network of community-based organizations, a housing specialist will support program participants with viewing and leasing the unit. Our partners have multiple participants looking for units at any given time so this process should move quickly. Once the lease is signed and appropriate documents are gathered, the partner organization will mail the monthly rental subsidy directly to you.
You will receive support from staff specifically dedicated to assist the landlord if issues arise. A 24-hour hotline is available during non-office hours. Eviction prevention support and some mitigation funds could be offered for damage exceeding the security deposit costs.
The San Francisco Landlord Incentive Program (SFLIP) provides financial assistance to incentivize landlords to lease housing to households exiting homelessness though City supported subsidized housing programs. Participating tenants will have a rental voucher to help pay their rent and the program includes incentives and bonus for landlords participating in the program. Click the link above to find out more!