Housing provides exits from homelessness through subsidies and supportive services. HSH has over 11,000 units of supportive housing in our portfolio.
Housing Program Types
Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH):
PSH offers tenants long-term affordable housing with a range of supportive services, including case management and housing retention assistance. Tenants pay up to 30% of their income in rent.
- Site-Based Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH): Tenants live in units in a building that the City or a non-profit partner owns or master leases. Support services are located on site. Some buildings include additional services like nursing, education and job training, youth and child programming, and food security support.
- Scattered-Site Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH): Tenants use subsidies to live in private-market units and receive support from mobile service providers.
- Flexible Housing Subsidy Pool (FHSP): Tenants use subsidies to live in units on the private rental market through partnerships with landlords and non-profit partners.
- Federal Voucher Programs: Tenants receive ongoing subsidies to lease units of their choice on the private market. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development covers a portion of the voucher holder’s rent based on their income. These housing choice voucher programs include:
Rapid Rehousing is a time-limited subsidy that gradually decreases as the tenant stabilizes and finds housing outside of the Homelessness Response System. Tenants live in private-market units and access supportive services, including case management and housing retention assistance.
Inventory of Housing Resources
The dashboard below includes an inventory of HSH’s housing resources. This is a preliminary listing of all current resources and resources in the pipeline that are opening soon.
|Available inventory||Housing resources that are currently occupied or available for placement.|
|Planned inventory||Housing resources for which HSH has entered into an agreement with a non-profit to operate. These resources are not yet available for placement.|
|PSH||Includes all site-based and scattered-site permanent supportive housing except Flexible Housing Subsidy Pool.|
|PSH: Flex Pool||Tracks Flexible Housing Subsidy Pool to better understand this relatively new program.|
|Mixed Population||Units are not dedicated to a specific population and various populations can use the resource.|
- The Mayor’s Office of Housing and Community Development manages DAHLIA, an online portal for affordable rental and homeownership opportunities in San Francisco. Visit the online portal.
- Get information about how people experiencing homelessness can access housing resources through Coordinated Entry.
- Learn about housing resources specific for veterans.
- Get information about HSH’s Housing Ladder program, which offers PSH tenants the opportunity to move to more independent living.
- Access data about vacancies in HSH’s site-based PSH portfolio.