This page provides documentation for the dashboard on the demographics of all Shelter-in-Place (SIP) Hotel guests at HSH’s adult sites. Documentation includes the report purpose, data sources, reporting frequency, and key terms.
This dashboard reports on the demographics of all guests served in HSH’s adult SIP hotels. It allows users to compare the distribution of guests by demographic categories, including population type, race, ethnicity, age group, gender identity, sexual orientation, and prior living situation.
Data in these dashboards is sourced from two HSH databases:
- The SF COVID Placement Tool, a database developed by RTZ Systems for SIP hotel shelter bed management
- The Online Navigation and Entry (ONE) System, a HUD-compliant Homeless Management Information System (HMIS).
Data is through December 21, 2022. Data does not refresh.
- Guests’ age is reported according to their age as of their first admission date to a SIP Hotel.
- Guests with unknown ages are assumed to be “Adults” in Population Type and “Unknown” in Age Group. Guests under age 18 are assumed to be data errors and are also represented as “Adults” in Population Type and is “Unknown” in Age Group.
- Demographic sub-categories with fewer than 5 guests are removed from the dashboard to protect the privacy of individuals.
- For general inquiries, contact: email@example.com
- For media inquiries, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For technical issues related to this dashboard, contact: email@example.com
Key Terms and Acronyms
For an explanation of how clients’ gender identity data is collected and reported in accordance with HUD standards, see the HSH’s Gender Identity Reporting Standards.
Population Type Definition:
|Guests aged 25+ as of admission to their first SIP Hotel.|
|TAY||Transitional Age Youth (TAY) refers to youth aged 18 to 24 as of admission to their first SIP Hotel.|
|Veteran||Guests who are veterans of the United States armed forces.|
Prior Living Situation Definition:
|The guest was transferred to the SIP hotel from an emergency shelter or Navigation Center.|
|Prior to being admitted into the SIP hotel, the guest was living in a place not meant for habitation (e.g., a vehicle, an abandoned building, a bus/train/subway station/airport, or anywhere outside).|
|Unknown||The guest’s prior living situation is unknown.|
|Hospital or |
|The guest was transferred to the SIP hotel after being discharged from a hospital or a COVID-19 Isolation & Quarantine site.|
|Other Sheltered |
|Prior to being admitted into the SIP hotel, the guest was living in another type of sheltered location than those described above (for example: jail), or the guest was confirmed as having a sheltered prior living situation, but the type of sheltered location was not specified.|