This page provides documentation for the dashboards on the counts and demographics of SIP hotel guests. Documentation includes the report purpose, data sources, reporting frequency, and key terms.
These dashboards report on the number of current SIP hotel guests, the number of total guests served through the SIP hotel program, and the demographics of all guests served. They allow users to compare the distribution of guests by demographic categories, including population type, race, ethnicity, age group, gender identity, sexual orientation, and prior living situation.
Data in these dashboards is sourced from two HSH databases:
- The SF COVID Placement Tool, a database developed by RTZ Systems for SIP hotel shelter bed management
- The Online Navigation and Entry (ONE) System, a HUD-compliant Homeless Management Information System (HMIS).
The dashboards refresh daily at 11:00 a.m. with the prior day’s data.
- Guests’ age is reported according to their age as of their first admission date to a SIP Hotel.
- For guests who have had multiple stays in the SIP hotel system, population type and prior living situation are reported with relation to their first SIP hotel stay.
- Population type reporting is primarily based on the guest’s SIP hotel. Guests who stayed at the family site, SIP hotel Site 28, are reported as families, and guests who stayed at the other SIP hotels are reported as adults, unless they are veterans or aged 18 to 24 (Transitional Age Youth). For SIP hotels other than Site 28, guests with unknown ages are assumed to be “Adults” in Population Type and “Unknown” in Age Group. Guests under age 18 are assumed to be data errors and are also represented as “Adults” in Population Type and is “Unknown” in Age Group.
- Demographic sub-categories with fewer than 5 guests are removed from the dashboard to protect the privacy of individuals.
- For general inquiries, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For media inquiries, contact: email@example.com
- For technical issues related to this dashboard, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Key Terms and Acronyms
For an explanation of how clients’ gender identity data is collected and reported in accordance with HUD standards, see the HSH’s Gender Identity Reporting Standards.
Population Type Definition:
|Guests aged 25+ as of admission to their first SIP Hotel.|
|TAY||Transitional Age Youth (TAY) refers to youth aged 18 to 24 as of admission to their first SIP Hotel.|
|Family||Guests who stayed at the family site, SIP Hotel 28, which was open to households including one or more adults with one or more minor children, pregnant persons, and parenting TAY.|
|Veteran||Guests who are veterans of the United States armed forces.|
Prior Living Situation Definition:
|The guest was transferred to the SIP hotel from an emergency shelter or Navigation Center.|
|Prior to being admitted into the SIP hotel, the guest was living in a place not meant for habitation (e.g., a vehicle, an abandoned building, a bus/train/subway station/airport, or anywhere outside).|
|Unknown||The guest’s prior living situation is unknown.|
|Hospital or |
|The guest was transferred to the SIP hotel after being discharged from a hospital or a COVID-19 Isolation & Quarantine site.|
|Other Sheltered |
|Prior to being admitted into the SIP hotel, the guest was living in another type of sheltered location than those described above (for example: jail), or the guest was confirmed as having a sheltered prior living situation, but the type of sheltered location was not specified.|