This page provides documentation for the Vacancies in Permanent Supportive Housing report. Documentation includes the report’s purpose, data source, reporting frequency, and key terms.
This report provides information on vacancies within HSH’s Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH) site-based portfolio.
The dataset is derived from the following data systems that are managed by the San Francisco Department of Homelessness and Supportive Housing:
- Online Navigation and Entry (ONE) System, a HUD-compliant Homeless Management Information System (HMIS)
- Offline Vacancy Tracker (HSH’s application for tracking vacant units that are not ready for client referral due to various reasons (i.e. maintenance, janitorial, pest control).
This dashboard is updated monthly mid-month.
Information represents a point in time specified by the “Last Updated” date on the bottom of the report. Existing inventory totals used to calculate the vacancy percentage may change when updates to our inventory occur.
The dashboard excludes Scattered Site PSH. Scattered Site PSH is not tied to a physical unit but rather to a subsidy or voucher. The total number of these subsidies or vouchers can vary frequently.
- For general inquiries, contact: email@example.com
- For media inquiries, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For technical issues related to this dashboard, contact: email@example.com
Key Terms and Acronyms
Key terms for this dashboard include:
- Buildings in Lease Up Phase – Sites are identified as being in “lease up phase” from the time they begin accepting referrals until they have been open for tenant move-ins for four months.
- Existing Buildings – Sites that have been open and active in HSH’s PSH portfolio for at least four months prior to the “Last Updated” date of the report.
- Online Units / Units Ready for Referral – Units that are ready to receive a tenant referral and ready for move-in.
- Offline Units – Units that are not ready to receive a tenant referral due to one of the various offline unit statuses.
- Offline Vacancy Status – Offline Vacancies are represented according to the status of the unit as categorized in the table below:
|Offline Vacancy Status||Definition|
|Unit is vacant for a reason not otherwise described; a note explaining the delay is required.|
|Unit has a substantial number of items that need to be removed (hoarding, etc.).|
Hold for RA
|Unit is being held for a reasonable accommodation (RA) transfer.|
|Hold for Transfer||Unit is being held for an internal transfer at the site.|
|HSH Hold for Transfer||Unit is being held for an external transfer from another site.|
|Janitorial||Unit requires minor repairs and cleaning.|
|Maintenance||Unit requires major / substantial repairs.|
|Medical Examiner Hold||Unit is being held by the City’s Medical Examiner’s Office.|
|Pest Control||Unit needs to be professionally treated for pests.|
|Property Hold||Unit is on hold by the property; details tracked in text notes.|
|Ready for Inspection||Unit needs to be inspected by the San Francisco Housing Authority (SFHA) or the Department of Building Inspection (DBI).|
|Ready for Referral||Unit is available and ready for occupancy; these units need to be posted to the ONE system to receive a client referral.|
|Temporarily Occupied||Unit is temporarily occupied by a resident while repairs are underway.|
|The sum of vacant “Units Ready for Referral” and “Offline Units.” Includes units from existing and leasing up buildings.|
|The percentage of vacancies (both Online Units Ready for Referral and Offline Units) within existing buildings calculated from the total inventory of existing buildings.|
Note: “Buildings in Lease Up Phase” are excluded in this calculation. Newly opened buildings typically take a few months to fully lease up and move new clients in. Excluding these vacancies allows HSH to more accurately monitor PSH vacancies that result from turnover.